[jsword-devel] Feature found

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Fri May 21 21:03:14 MST 2004

Joe Walker wrote:
> DM Smith wrote:
>
>> This is the doc to which I referred.
>>     http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/lang/assert.html
>> I am not sure if it gives different info than the link you provided.
>>
>> The big question is should we deliver the code with asserts turned on
>> or off?
>

> I would say off.
> I think JNLP should have asserts turned off on the website.
> Asserts should be on for testing from within eclipse or from local jnlp
> builds.
>
>> Corollary: What is sufficient testing? Is testing with asserts on
>> sufficient? Or do we need to test with asserts off as well?
>

> With JNLP executed code you don't get the console output easily so
> working out what broke is harder. So JNLP is for when you think is
> works, and eclipse with the debugger is for when you expect it to break.
> Assert in eclipse, Disable assert in JNLP.

You can turn on the console in WebStart.
File -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Show Java Console.
Then any application you run with webstart will show the console.

> Sound sensible?

Yes.

Next question. Should we do testing with asserts on, off or both? Or is
code inspection sufficient to ensure that the asserts have no side
effects and that the code does the right thing when the condition arises
and the assert is not present?