[jsword-devel] XSLT and enrichment of OSIS Text...

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Fri Nov 5 13:01:06 MST 2010

On 11/05/2010 03:21 PM, Chris Burrell wrote:
> What's GNT? Greek New Testament?
Yes.

> I think we can do more than that too. If other Bible versions have
> strong numbers and/or morphology tags, then we can put those in
> parallel, and end up having French with English "subtitles", or
> English with English, as well as English with Greek, etc.
>
> So I've had a look at the framework so far and it seems fairly easy
> not to use Bible Desktop components and have a good XSLT
> transformation. So all we would need to add is some helpers that users
> can easily integrate into their XSLTs. It would nice to have some
> sample XSLs for people to use. So for example, I've had to strip out
> all the CSS and font tags from the Bible Desktop one so as to produce
> a good XHTML compliant one.
I used <font class="xxx">...</font> because Java's built-in render did
not know <span class="xxx">...</span>. I'd suggest changing all font
tags to span and see if that works for you. The CSS would need to change
the font.xxx to span.xxx.

> Say we give the XSLT a InterlinearProvider initialised with its
> version and passage, as it parses the strong/morph option we can then
> call get($provider, @strong, @morph), which would in turn optionally
> return the correct words (or best word since sometimes you may have
> multiple options in modules tagged with strong numbers only. In fact
> it would be better to have something like get($provider,
> osis_verse_id, @strong, @morph). Since then, if we don't have the
> morphology of the word, at least we can limit the lookups to those
> words that are tagged in a particular verse (that assumes that
> versification is comparable between versions).

Sounds good.

> We'll want to add options to have tagged information displayed on the
> side of a word/phrase or below a word/phrase. At the moment the XSLT
> displays morph and strong tags next to the text. I'll add some
> transformations to have it on separate lines. Then we can reuse the
> same transformations to line up text beneath it.
You don't need the transformations to be on the next lines. You can have
them side by side and display in a stacked fashion. This was the sample
interlinear code I was talking about.

> DM, I had a look at "flying saucer" , but didn't quite understand
> where it comes in? Would the idea be instead of the XSLT? And have it
> transform to different UIs?

Currently we transform OSIS into HTML. And then hand that to a renderer.
Some "browsers" are able to take xml and render it directly using CSS.
This is what flying saucer claims to do. I guess I don't know what your
target is. I was assuming a desktop application. But if it is the web,
then never mind. However, if it is the web maybe some collaboration with
FireBible on the xslt would help you.

-- DM