[jsword-devel] Alternate Versification

Brian Fernandes infernalproteus at gmail.com
Sat May 2 23:21:46 MST 2009

DM,

My responses are inline

DM Smith wrote:
> SWORD is adding the ability to have other versifications (v11n) than
> the hard-coded KJV v11n. We need to add this to JSword, too.
>
> There are some of ways that one v11n can differ from another:
> 1) Additional books - E.g. Apocrypha/Deuterocanonical
> 2) Different order of books - E.g. Hebrew Tanakh.
> 3) Different "long" names for the books. E.g. 1-4 Kings.
> 4) Different number of chapters in a book. E.g. Some only have 3
> chapters in Malachi, with all of KJV's chapter 4 at the end.
> 5) Different number of verses in a chapter. E.g. Many have 3 John 1:15
> 6) Different numbering of the verses. E.g. The titles in the Psalms
> come before verse 1 in the KJV, but are verse 1 in the KJV.
>
> There may be others.
>
> The issue of mapping (#6) is not being addressed at this time.
>
> In the module's conf, a module will have a new entry
> Versification=KJV
> which if absent, will default to the KJV.
>
> New v11n include:
> KJVA
> Leningrad
> Tanakh
> NRSV
> NRSVA
>
> Some others that may be added before too long:
> Luther
> Vulgate
> Original - a combination of the Tanakh, Apocrypha (possibly from the
> LXX) and GNT.
>
> For more details, see:
> http://crosswire.org/wiki/Alternate_Versification/System_Identification
What v11n system would Catholic bibles use - Vulgate? I recall another
difference where the verse distribution in chapters 16 / 17 in the book
of Numbers differs from the current v11n system. This is only a
difference I chanced across while doing a rough manual comparison, I
didn't really look further; is this a known difference?

> Enough of the preamble. We need to change JSword and it will break all
> existing programs: Bible Desktop, Alkitab, FireBible, and ones we
> haven't been told about.
>
> I would like it if we can do this with a minimum of problems.
>
> I have been following the development of Lucene and I like their
> model. To do a break like this, they:
> 1) Add new classes and/or methods.
> 2) Mark affected classes and methods as deprecated, pointing each
> deprecation to the new code.
> After a release containing both the new code and the deprecated code,
> they have another release that removes those deprecations.
>
> Would this work for us?
I'm fine with this approach. Until FireBible is updated, it would be
nice if it still works with a  the new JSword release. However,
maintaining backward compatibility when you put in the new code could be
a problem (you will know best) and I'm perfectly fine with a new release
that only has the new API, if users/devs have a problem, they can always
> Next question is that of design. Most of it will be in
> o.c.jsword.versification:
> 1) Each of the new v11n systems is hard-coded into the SWORD engine
> for maximal lookup speed. There is no startup cost, but it increases
> the core size of the program. We can do something similar, or we can
> put the definition into resource files and read them in on first need.
> I'm leaning to the latter.
I'd prefer the resource files too.

> 2) There is a strong notion of a book having a fixed ordinal value.
> Currently, there is no accommodation for extra books.
> This affects most of the classes in o.c.j.versification.
>
> 2.1) OSISNames has an ordered list of books and does not include the
> apocrypha. There are conversions to and from an OSIS name and a book
> number. I think we can keep this with the addition of the book numbers.
>
> 2.2) BookNames is a localized representation of a book number and has
> hard-coded integer values for Gen-Rev (1..66). I think these numbers
> need to move to OSISNames, perhaps as an enumeration OSISBookNumber.
> And BookNames should take an OSIS name or an OSISBookNumber to do the
> lookup.
>
> 2.3) SectionNames likewise would be change to take an OSIS name or an
> OSISBookNumber to do the lookup. For the purposes of Advanced Search
> in BibleDesktop, there would need to be some kind of getRange(int
> section) that would need to be added. I think it might be good to
> change this to an enumeration, too.)
>
> 2.4) BibleInfo is the most problematic as it really is KJVBibleInfo
> and now we need a BibleInfo for each v11n scheme. I think we need a
> VersificationManager that given a v11n name, it will return a
> BibleInfo specific to that v11n. It too is indexed by book number, but
> in this case, it will need to be the ordinal position of the book in
> that system and not the OSISBookNumber. It might be good to add an
> iterator of the books in BibleInfo that returns OSISBookNumber.
FireBible does not really do anything advanced other than create a key
from book (uses the OSISName of the book), chapter selection (chapter
number) and pass that on to JSword (with the corresponding Bible) for
lookup. Most of the legwork is done by JSword, so I don't have much
input to add here.

> 2.5) BookName knows it's book number. Hmm.
>
> The whole notion of a book having an integer value might cause
> non-obvious breakages if we change it's semantic. I'm inclined to
> break the notion of book numbers entirely so that all using code needs
> to change. But still, I'd like it to be as simple a migration as
> possible.
I like the idea of doing away with book numbers entirely. Personally, I
don't use them at all, so a break will not affect me. Also, I don't have
a problem if the migration is hard, it's going to be a one time thing
for significant benefit and in the long run allowances made for easier
migration may only slow us down (don't really know). So if Tonny K is
fine with it as well, I see no problems with removing book numbers.

Please let me know if I can help in anyway; really happy to see this
finally happening!

In Him,
Brian.