[jsword-devel] German Translation (BD) and more

Benny Wasty bennywasty at gmx.de
Thu Mar 13 15:27:21 MST 2008

DM Smith schrieb:

> On Mar 2, 2008, at 1:09 PM, Benny Wasty wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> now the German translation is complete (see attached zipped patch files).
>> I also changed 3 English entries in config.properties, which are a
>> bit clearer now I hope (Passages.BlurringRules.alternative.1,
>> Passages.PersistentNaming.name, Passages.PersistentNaming.help).
>>
>> I think there is one field missing in the translation files: the
>> summary-label in the Select Passage Dialog. I couldn't find where to
>> put the translation for "verses" and "book".
>
> This is in the jsword project at o.c.jsword.passage.UserMsg.properties
> In the entry:
> AbstractPassage.RefSummary={0,number,integer}
> {0,choice,0#verses|1#verse|1<verses} in {1,number,integer}
> {1,choice,0#books|1#book|1<books}
> Everything outside of {} needs to be translated. The words "choice",
> "number", "integer" should not be translated, but
> "verses", "verse", "books" and "book" need to be translated.
>
> Here is the breakdown of {0,choice,0#verses|1#verse|1<verses}
> 0 - the first argument provided to the format. This will be the number
> of verses. 1 will be the number of books.
> choice - is a programmer's keyword indicating that a choice needs to
> be made
> 0#verses - if the argument equals 0 then output "verses"
> | - separates one choice from another
> 1#verse - if the argument equals 1 then choose "verse"
> 1<verses - if the argument is greater than 1 then use "verses"

I translated that file - see attachment UserMsg_de.zip. I'll translate
license.warranty in the next few days, right now I'm too tired.
I also found a few wrong umlauts in the German quick search help -> see
o.c.bibledesktop.book.Msg_de.properties in Msg_de.zip.

I noticed that the Select- and Advanced-buttons now don't have an icon
any more - is that only on my machine?

And I've got another little suggestion: When for example the language is
changed a restart is required for the change to take effect. This should
be shown to the user as a popup when clicking Ok/Apply in the
Options-Dialog. It is said in the tooltip for the language field, but
hardly anyone will see that, but rather wonder that nothing happens when
he clicks Ok/Apply.

In Him,
            Benny