[jsword-devel] Alkitab Bible Study 0.9 released

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Wed Jun 4 07:25:48 MST 2008

Jonathan Morgan wrote:
>> 6) Licensing - not my area of knowledge - but do you think it is correct
>> to link a public domain programme to a GPL library? Or is Java with its
>> multiple separate jars designed in a fashion that this is not a matter
>> of concern?
>
> Two points on this:
> 1. Public domain software is fairly obviously GPL compatible (see
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#GPLCompatibleLicenses
> for a list of GPL compatible licenses).

Incorporating PD into GPL yes, but GPL into PD appears to me
counterintuitive as the GPL requirements will trump. Certainly BSD into
GPL is a one-way street (remember that fight last year about wireless
code from OpenBSD in Linux?)

> 2. From memory, J-Sword is primarily LGPL rather than GPL anyway.  Did
> you have any other libraries in mind, or was it just JSword?

Jsword is the only one I am concerned with. Yes it is LGPL. Which
probably sorts my question.

Peter