[jsword-devel] Learning J2ME with jsword

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 25 13:06:47 MST 2007

Welcome Jon!

Jon Brisbin wrote:
> I'm trying to learn J2ME and wanted to make a simple Bible app for my
> Samsung Sync A707 using JSword (assuming I can actually figure out how
> to get arbitrary Java apps to run on the phone...working on that one).
> I don't really need the whole BibleDesktop suite, as I'm just going to
> be reading hard-coding a bunch of stuff so I can get enough of an app
> together to have user input, buttons, scrolling, etc... working.
>
> My question is, has anyone messed with JSword/BibleDesktop on a mobile
> platform? Any suggestions, comments, advice I need to know before I
> jump in? Is there a mobile-ized version of JSword that I could use, or
> do I just put in the basic jsword-1.0.7.jar?
We've talked about working on it, and it is one of our goals, but we
have never worked on it.

You will need jsword-common-1.0.7.jar as well.

Our software requires Java 1.4. Most phones use a very trimmed version
of Java which is far less than that. Most are CDC-1.0.

You might find Eclipse a good environment to develop. See:
http://eclipseme.org/ for details.

Let us know what you find out!