[jsword-devel] Maven

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 15 19:13:17 MST 2006

Joe Walker wrote:

> On 1/16/06, *DM Smith* <dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
> <mailto:dmsmith555 at yahoo.com>> wrote:
>
>     Based on your and Andy's thoughts, I'll give it (Maven 2) a go,
>     but on a
>     local copy. I'll report back here.
>
>     Some observations about Maven: it wants a particular directory
>     structure
>     and it has the notion of sub-projects. Our directory structure is
>     close
>     though and we have implemented sub-projects as independent projects.
>

> I don't think maven2 does, maybe that's something that has changed
> since Maven1. Someone made a maven build file for dwr and configured
> it to use the existing directory structure.
When I said that Maven wants a particular directory structure, I meant
that Maven has documented the recommended directory structure and
provides tools (archetypes) that work out-of-the-box with that
structure. I did not mean that it requires that dir structure. See
http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-standard-directory-layout.html
for details.

Their recommendation is not too far from our usage.

With tooling, I have found it useful to follow recommendations and
guidelines as it requires less effort overall and future releases will
address those rules.