[jsword-devel] RCP/SWT

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 31 08:47:08 MST 2005

Aleksander Rozman wrote:

> DM Smith wrote:
>
>> Aleksander Rozman wrote:
>>
>> We cannot build with 1.3, but it may be possible to run with a 1.2 or
>> 1.3 jre. We may need to set binary compatibility to a pre 1.4 level
>> though. I have not tried this.
>
> Yeah I noticed that. I tried to run build on 1.3 and it didn't work.
> There are a lot of assert statements which are not available in 1.3,
> which means that running witj JRE 1.3 shouldn't work either. Could
> usage of asserts be removed? I haven't used assertions so far, because
> I never found the need to use them. Is there a need to use them in
> BibleDesktop?

Earlier we argued over whether to use asserts or not. I don't remember
exactly the details of the thread, but the upshot was that asserts are
best for conditions that should never arise in production, but often do
in development. When deploying to production asserts are not enabled so
that they have no runtime impact. Since asserts are compiled out they
won't interrupt code flow as they do when they are enabled. Thus it is
important to have normal code flow as if they are not present.

I think that we can target compilation to 1.3 and they will be stripped out.

>>> Running java programs is quite problematic. You need quite a lot of
>>> ram in your computer. I would think that you would need at least 128
>>> Mb for just running java, maybe by using older java (1.3) we could
>>> lower RAM requirement, so that Bible desktop could also be run on
>>> older computers.
>>
>> I am going to be testing it on my Win98 laptop to figure out what the
>> minimum is. One thing that I have found so far is that upgrading IE
>> to 6.x makes the 32M laptop too slow. I will be reinstalling Win98SE
>> and before patching it, testing BibleDesktop.
>
> Do that. I will try bible desktop on my unix machine (notebook pentium
> with 96 Mb ram) with java 1.4.2 and will tell you how it works there....

Super!