[jsword-devel] Bible Desktop Notes Just need to add support for the personal commentary. Interface: [Main Window] I would like to be able to maintain the look of the desktop once I set it. For instance, the reference pane has a tendency to sl

Joe Walker joseph.walker at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 10:10:18 MST 2004

Thanks,

I need to think more about quite a few of your points, first this:

I was half way through coding a new ReferencePane but I stopped until
we are done with 1.0 - I'll explain the idea.
Rather than have 3 areas, one for book, the second for the "key"
within the book and the 3rd for the text, I planned just 1 - a tree.
At the top level it lists all the books, the "keys" come beneith there
and when you open up a key you get the text.
That way you can see several reference items at the same time, and we
could have neat feature like when you double click on a word in the
Bible pane, it searches for that word and open all the relevant
reference works at the right place.

The big issue stopping it is that Concordances (and some dictionaries)
have a vast number of "keys" - for a Concordance there will often be
something like 31000 (one for each verse in the Bible). and this make
performance appalling and scrolling impossible.
Keys are currently hierachical in theory, but not in practice so we
need to make Bibles split into section and then books and then
chapters (or in the case of Psalms books 1-5 and then chapters) and
finally verses.