[jsword-devel] Verse markup in OSIS modules

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Fri Aug 6 16:22:43 MST 2004

DM Smith wrote:

> So as not to bury the lead, I am putting my question at the beginning of
> the e-mail: How should I determine whether an OSIS module has verse
> markup or not? I am cross posting this (please let me know if this is
> not appropriate)

The way to know whether a module includes <verse> elements is to check
the OSISVersion config entry.  In those modules with <verse> elements,
this entry exists and equals 2.0.1.

I know that Martin's WLC doesn't have this, but he may not have known or
remembered about this.  I can't do anything to fix the .conf on the
server at the moment because of permissions, but we'll get it fixed when
things settle down.

> At first I thought that the indexing of KJV was a bit lossy and did not
> include the <verse> markup in the indexing, but I decompressed the
> entirety of Genesis and found that there were no verse markers.

It's not the indexing, it's the importer that was lossy.  (Actually,
with the KJV, I don't know if it was really imported from an OSIS
source.  That module is sort of a special case because of the KJV2003
project.)

> Anyway JSword assumes that the module does not contain verse markers and
> adds them. When it comes to WLS, it is in there twice.
>
> Chris Little wrote in a thread on sword-devel:
>  > Just check the OSISVersion entry in the .conf.  The new modules are
>  > tagged with OSISVersion=2.0.1.  Other OSIS modules won't have this tag
>  > at all and most of them would be tagged as OSISVersion=1.1.1, if we
>  > went back and added the metadata to them.  So you can assume that if
>  > OSISVersion >= 2 then ALL tags from the OSIS document are supposed to
>  > be in the Sword module, including <verse> tags.
>
> I don't see that attribute in the conf for WLS. I saw that Sword handles
>  WLS and KJV correctly.

BibleCS renders them correctly because it simply ignores <verse>
elements.  I don't know what the versification situation is with the
WLC, but I suspect that it only *appears* to render correctly, and is
actually dropping verse markers that should be rendered.  (We'll get
that fixed soon.)

--Chris