[jsword-devel] New Release

Jacky Cheung jsword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 07 Nov 2003 08:46:59 +0800

--=-MMJt+C7IT8UhS6cVkBJI

Dear Joe,

Here is what I found in the Linux version of 0.9.6.

     1. The installer said there are some errors. Fortunately, the files
        are installed. I think this has to be fixed in 1.0.
     2. May be related to (1), the installer generated run script is not
        working.
     3. The look and feel is Windows. This will generate an error in
        Linux, for Linux doesn't have Windows look and feel. I think
        javax.swing.plaf.metal.MetalLookAndFeel is better for cross
        platform.
     4. NullPointerException occur if I change the look and feel in
        options.

A few months ago, there is a discussion about using different font for
the display of data of different languages so that non-ANSI characters,
like CJK, can be displayed in the GUI. Will we get this feature in 1.0?
Thanks.

Best regards,
Jacky

On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 19:58, Joe Walker wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've just done a release of J-Sword. Version 0.9.6 is the second beta
> for 1.0, and I *hope* we will only need one more.
>
> What has changed?
> - New installer based downloads for Windows/Linux/MacOSX/Generic Java.
> - Loads of sword modules reading fixes.
>
> My focus now is on GUI fixes, and then I believe we are ready for a 1.0
>
> The download link is:
>    http://www.crosswire.org/jsword/download.jsp
>
> One other job before 1.0 - as I've noted before I think we need to give
> the Swing GUI a different name from the core like the other SWORD
> projects do - for the large part C++ Sword front ends have their own name.
> Benefits:
> - less user confusion, quite a few people have come up to me and asked
> what "J - S - Word" is, and there is already confusion between Sword and
> ESword, it doesn't seem sensible to make that worse
> - it is more obvious to developers that there is a core package (still
> jsword) that is separate from the GUI, another thing I've been asked
> about several times
> The best name that I've come up with so far is "Bible Desktop", which is
> poor - any better suggestions?
>
> Joe.

--=-MMJt+C7IT8UhS6cVkBJI

<HTML>
<HEAD>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
Dear Joe,<BR>
<BR>
Here is what I found in the Linux version of 0.9.6.
<OL TYPE=1>
    <LI TYPE=1 VALUE=1>The installer said there are some errors. Fortunately, the files are installed. I think this has to be fixed in 1.0.
    <LI TYPE=1 VALUE=2>May be related to (1), the installer generated run script is not working.
    <LI TYPE=1 VALUE=3>The look and feel is Windows. This will generate an error in Linux, for Linux doesn't have Windows look and feel. I think javax.swing.plaf.metal.MetalLookAndFeel is better for cross platform.
    <LI TYPE=1 VALUE=4>NullPointerException occur if I change the look and feel in options.
</OL>
<BR>
A few months ago, there is a discussion about using different font for the display of data of different languages so that non-ANSI characters, like CJK, can be displayed in the GUI. Will we get this feature in 1.0?&nbsp; Thanks.<BR>
<BR>
Best regards,<BR>
Jacky<BR>
<BR>
I've just done a release of J-Sword. Version 0.9.6 is the second beta
for 1.0, and I *hope* we will only need one more.

What has changed?
- New installer based downloads for Windows/Linux/MacOSX/Generic Java.
- Loads of sword modules reading fixes.

My focus now is on GUI fixes, and then I believe we are ready for a 1.0

The download link is:
   </FONT><A HREF="http://www.crosswire.org/jsword/download.jsp"><U>http://www.crosswire.org/jsword/download.jsp</U></A>
<FONT COLOR="#737373">
One other job before 1.0 - as I've noted before I think we need to give
the Swing GUI a different name from the core like the other SWORD
projects do - for the large part C++ Sword front ends have their own name.
Benefits:
- less user confusion, quite a few people have come up to me and asked
what &quot;J - S - Word&quot; is, and there is already confusion between Sword and
ESword, it doesn't seem sensible to make that worse
- it is more obvious to developers that there is a core package (still
jsword) that is separate from the GUI, another thing I've been asked
about several times
The best name that I've come up with so far is &quot;Bible Desktop&quot;, which is
poor - any better suggestions?