[jsword-devel] New Release

Joe Walker jsword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 06 Nov 2003 11:58:22 +0000

Hi,

I've just done a release of J-Sword. Version 0.9.6 is the second beta
for 1.0, and I *hope* we will only need one more.

What has changed?
- New installer based downloads for Windows/Linux/MacOSX/Generic Java.
- Loads of sword modules reading fixes.

My focus now is on GUI fixes, and then I believe we are ready for a 1.0

The download link is:
   http://www.crosswire.org/jsword/download.jsp

One other job before 1.0 - as I've noted before I think we need to give
the Swing GUI a different name from the core like the other SWORD
projects do - for the large part C++ Sword front ends have their own name.
Benefits:
- less user confusion, quite a few people have come up to me and asked
what "J - S - Word" is, and there is already confusion between Sword and
ESword, it doesn't seem sensible to make that worse
- it is more obvious to developers that there is a core package (still
jsword) that is separate from the GUI, another thing I've been asked
about several times
The best name that I've come up with so far is "Bible Desktop", which is
poor - any better suggestions?

Joe.