[bd-users] NIV

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 20 11:37:26 MST 2006

Jim,

The format of choice for all BibleDesktop books (aka SWORD modules) is
OSIS (see http://www.bibletechnologies.net). An OSIS file can be
converted to a SWORD module with osis2mod. If you need more info than
this I can provide further direction.

I am not aware of any versions of the NIV that could be converted.
Previous attempts to work with the copyright owner have not been
fruitful. Even if you could find an electronic version to convert, you
run the risk of DCMA and copyright infringement to change the format.

The good news is that soon, the NASB will be available for purchase.
Thompson Publishing has been very active in making this happen. If this
is received well (i.e. they make good money on it) we think that other
publishers will follow. Prior to the NIV this was "THE" Bible to use.

Also, soon the NET Bible (see bible.org) will be available as a sword
module. I have been working with that publisher to make sure that it
works with BibleDesktop. I think they plan a free version and a
full-featured paid version. This is a new translation that scholars have
been working on for 10+ years. I have not read it yet, but it looks very
promising.

Hope this helps,
    DM