[bd-users] No bibles?

Frank fchimes at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Jun 11 09:04:38 MST 2006

I need to give a little background.

I use Bible Time, part of the KDE Desktop on Debian.  A friend of mine
saw it and said his wife would love to have something like that.  She's
a teacher and is the Religious Education Coordinator at her school here
in the UK.  I told him I'd look around and see if there was a Windows
version.  There isn't or at least I couldn't find one. I did, however,
find Bible Desktop!

They have only a dial-up modem connection which they have to pay for by
the minute on-line, so I offered to download what they needed and burn
it to CDROM.  Once I had the CDROM, I installed the programs (they
needed the Java runtime and Acrobat Reader as well as Bible Desktop) and
unpacked and installed the modules I'd downloaded as well.  When I ran
the program, it said I had no Bibles and would I like to download one?
After a lengthy search, (I really must learn to read the manual *first*!
:) ), I added the link to where the Bibles were stored.  Still no joy.

As we live some distance apart, I had to come home at that point but I
told them I'd try to find out how to get the Bibles and other modules
working.  I downloaded the Bible Desktop installer to my hard drive, and
installed it on my machine so I could become more familiar with it.  It
found the modules I had for Bible Time without me telling it where they
were.  But when I opened the Tools/Options menu, Bible Desktop crashes
on my system.

I still don't know why it doesn't work on my friend's Win98 system.  Any
ideas how to get it to see the Bibles and other modules?  It would
really make a difference for her in her work if she had this tool available.

Blessings
Frank